unapproved query

stuart nichols stu at stac.state.tx.us
Thu Mar 9 20:20:29 UTC 2000

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 lilith at paxumbrae.com wrote:

> I have a question...

> I administer the paxumbrae.com domain. Why does this message [that
> follows] appear to be coming from hostmaster at paxumbrae.com when there
> is no hostmaster email account provisioned?

> Whoever sent this message is not authorized to use that address, and the
> message wasn't -sent- from my mailserver, only received, according to
> the logs.

> On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 hostmaster at paxumbrae.com wrote:

> > It there a way to return 127.0.0.0 to a unapproved query

That the message appeared to come from your own address is due to a
sendmail configuration issue, not a DNS/bind issue.  The message arrived
at your sendmail host without a qualified origin in the "From:" field.
It probably showed that it was simply from "hostmaster" or
"hostmaster at localhost", and your sendmail took it upon itself to add the
"@paxumbrae.com" to the end of it.

stu
The State Technology Assessment Center of Texas