Win95 machine not looking at 2nd and 3rd DNS

Delmer Harris dharris at kcp.com
Thu Mar 9 17:56:35 UTC 2000

I think this has come up before and was determined to be a misunderstanding
about the multiple resolvers in the local equivalent of resolv.conf.  The
correct behavior is as you described - if the resolver on W95 receives any
response from DNS#1 it will _not_ go to DNS#2 or DNS#3.  It is only when
there is no response from DNS#1 that it will go to DNS#2.

You could achieve what you appear to desire by configuring your internal
DNS to use the ISP's DNS as 'forwarder' DNS machines.  Then your internal
DNS will check itself first, then ask the ISP's DNS to resolve what it
can't resolve and return the answer to the W98 machines.

YMMV

nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> on 03/09/2000 11:36:19 AM