Chicken vs. egg

Tom Robinson trobinson at gksystems.kom
Wed Mar 8 16:48:19 UTC 2000

It's more a "bootstrap" situation rather than "chicken vs. egg".
Short answer: Your ns1 and ns2.domain.com must initially have their A
records elsewhere.
Here are the steps, where register.com is currently authority for your
domain.com but you want to set up your own name servers:
1. Ask register.com to add two A records for your zone, for ns1.domain.com
and ns2.domain.com. They must do this, not you, unless they have a fancy web
tool that lets you administer your own resource records.
2. Send in two host registration requests (using
ftp://ftp.internic.net/template/domain-template.txt) to register your name
servers.
3. Get your name servers running, loading your domain.com zone. (This step
can be done first without ill effects.)
4. Now you can change over to your name servers with
ftp://ftp.internic.net/template/domain-template.txt

The request in 2 and 4 must come from someone with authority for domain.com,
but ideally you are the admin contact while register.com are the technical
contact, so the request can come from you. If not then you should get them
to make you a contact.

If you had given your real domain name instead of domain.com I could give
more complete information!
...Tom Robinson

news:38C1CE8B.4700F719 at goaway.com...