host name not resolved

Jeremy C. Reed jcr at iwbc.net
Fri Mar 3 18:47:23 UTC 2000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Jeff Donovan wrote:

> Last night and one other time a few days ago clients in different
> domains were not able to connect to port 110 to get their mail.
>
> looks up on mydomain.com worked
> look ups on any host within my domain failed.
> I could telnet to the box, but not on port 110.
> telnet and I could need the daemons running,..named was running and
> their were no errors :\

I am not sure if I understand your problem, but I do have an idea. Are you
using tcpd wrappers for pop3 and only allowing hosts within your domain?
Or maybe you are using the tcpd /etc/hosts.deny PARANOID wildcard? I am
not sure why your host name is not resolving but maybe this is why your
pop3 is not working.

Jeremy C. Reed	     	     	     	jcr at iwbc.net
UNIX Admin          	     	     	Fax: 425-290-1751
IWBC ISP Services   	     	     	http://www.iwbc.net
    BSD software, documentation, resources, news
    http://bsd.reedmedia.net