named fails to service requests while reloading

Roy Arends roy at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Mar 31 08:17:10 UTC 2000

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Christopher wrote:

[snipped 1st question, ISC'll know this]

> It used to take about 30 minutes to reload (the MASTER), and
> we've got it down to about 15 minutes by adding transfer-format
> many-answers, transfers-per-ns 25, and serial-queries 500. Soon we are
> throwing some hardware at the problem; 14 drive array, and rewriting
> the file structure as suggested at isc.org "Note that for large numbers
> (in the tens or hundreds of thousands) of zones per server, it is best
> to use a two level naming scheme for zone file names. For example, a
> slave server for the zone vix.com might place the zone contents into a
> file called "vi/vix.com" where vi/ is just the first two letters of the
> zone name. (Most operating systems behave very slowly if you put 100K
> files into a single directory.)"

Be careful with this. Many unix/linux only allow 32768 links to a single
file/dir. Creating > 32768 subdirs in a directory causes every subdir to
have a link to the parent dir. So, if you just use the first two
characters of a zone as a name for a subdir, it should work.

My 0.02 cents

Roy Arends.
--
roy at nlnetlabs.nl                NLnetLabs
tel +31208884551                Kruislaan 419