named fails to service requests while reloading

Christopher ccugnoNOccSPAM at hostpro.net.invalid
Fri Mar 31 03:19:04 UTC 2000

I work for a large web hosting company, and we have 100,000 + zones.  I
am a bit new here and my job has been to performance tune and maintain
DNS here. The BIG problem we have here is that when DNS reloads, NAMED
STOPS SERVICING REQUESTS until it has completed its reload. I thought
it could continue (at least during zone transfers)!? Can it service
requests while reading zones from disk, or only during zone
transfers?It used to take about 30 minutes to reload (the MASTER), and
we've got it down to about 15 minutes by adding transfer-format
many-answers, transfers-per-ns 25, and serial-queries 500. Soon we are
throwing some hardware at the problem; 14 drive array, and rewriting
the file structure as suggested at isc.org "Note that for large numbers
(in the tens or hundreds of thousands) of zones per server, it is best
to use a two level naming scheme for zone file names. For example, a
slave server for the zone vix.com might place the zone contents into a
file called "vi/vix.com" where vi/ is just the first two letters of the
zone name. (Most operating systems behave very slowly if you put 100K
files into a single directory.)"....HELP!!!!!... :-) Christopher