Help... DNS Structuring Question!

Amir sorvih1 at isdn.net.il
Thu Jun 29 18:13:16 UTC 2000

Hi Matt.
Thanks for the answer.
stubs will solve that, no doubt. but the problem is that what if the
situation was like this :
my company has 25 branches all over the world.
i've subdevided each country into a sub-domain.

                                                  X.com
                                                /     |      \
		italy.x.com	israel.x.com	usa.x.com
and so on ...
the problem is : those sites need to have delegated zones... those ARE
autonomous units.
but then the question arises : every time when a host on usa.x.com wants to
resolve a host on italy.x.com it needs to
go all the way to "." then ".com" then "x.com" and then "italy.x.com" ? im
looking for a way to have all these name servers
have actually two courses of action :
if the hostname being resolved is not on the company's nets , begin as usual
at root.
but when the hostname is in the other domain of the same company , i want
the NS's to "know" the NS record of x.com ,
just like the know the NS's for "." ...
it seems really really needed. it must be an option that can be set
somehow...
dont the big ISP's in the world have NS's of the ".com" domain already for
example ? to relieve "." ?
thanks a lot for reading on , and replying in the first place :)
bye for now ,
amir