Help... DNS Structuring Question!

Larson, Matt mlarson at netsol.com
Thu Jun 29 16:13:53 UTC 2000

Hi, Amir.

> If I have delegated the sub-domains x.a.com and y.a.com to
> poeple , and
> yet I want queries between
> them not to have to go all the way to root , then to .com
> then to a.com
> and then to the other domain,
> but only go up to a.com , and he will refer them downwards

You can make all your x.a.com and y.a.com name servers a stub for the a.com
zone.  That will accomplish what you tried to do by putting NS records in
your hints (cache) file: it'll give those name servers a copy of the a.com
NS records.  Alternately, you could make all the x.a.com name servers a stub
for y.a.com and all the y.a.com name servers a stub for x.a.com.  That way,
they can find each other without contacting an a.com name server at all.

Stub is described in http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/config/zone.html.

Matt
--
Matt Larson <mlarson at netsol.com>