named-xfer and file order

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jun 27 17:31:11 UTC 2000

In article <C16ECEF52842D4118E920048544B9EB5016ECC at QTMFS>,
Joseph Peterson  <jay at qtm.net> wrote:
>Hmm.. that makes for difficulties in managing the DNS info =)

You're not supposed to "manage" it on the slave server, just on the master
server.

>I'm still looking for a better way of getting everything over to the NS2
>box though other than using 'scp' or the like to transfer the named.conf
>then having a perlscript change everything from a master to a slave and
>putting in the NS1 IP then reloading named.. just seems a bit too
>sloppy, like there should already be something out there?

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.  If you copy the file using
scp, you don't even need to change it from master to slave.  A master is a
server that loads from a file, while a slave is one that uses zone
transfers to get the current version.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA