named-xfer and file order

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Jun 26 22:10:48 UTC 2000

> % During zone transfers, records are transmitted in the order they appear in
> % named's memory.  Since order between names is not significant, named makes
> % no attempt to remember the order that the names appeared in the zone file
> % on the master, so the order on the slave will be apparently random.
> %
> % --
> % Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
>

> The stuff I have to unlearn... With DNSsec, order is important and preserved.
>
> --
> --bill

	With DNSsec the order is only important to generate the
	NXT records.  There is *no* requirement that they be
	transmitted (or stored) in order.  However you do need to
	be able to find the predecessor of the query name when
	answering with NXDOMAIN.  i.e. all the servers for the zone
	that support DNSSEC need to be able to sort the zone, they
	don't require it to be sorted when it is transfered or loaded
	from disk initially.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.