Lookup DNS Entry

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Sun Jun 25 14:41:22 UTC 2000

Jeff Grossman wrote:

> Currently, my
> domain for my company is handled by an outside company.  They handle
> are web and mail services.  I am thinking of bringing my mail services
> in house.  I figured I could just have my web people change the MX
> record for the DNS to point to my static IP address at my office.
> But, he does not seem to understand or agree with me.  What would be
> required for me to get this accomplished?

Exactly what you would need depends on how the domain is set up right now,
so it's impossible to give you an exact answer as long as you're not
telling us the domain name. Generally speaking, however, you would contact
the person who runs the master for your domain. The MX record for your
domain needs to be changed to point to the host name of your in-house mail
server (not to an IP address).

Of course, the other links in the chain need to be working properly as
well, e.g. the host name needs to resolve to an IP address, and that
machine needs to run a mail server configured to process mail for your domain.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.