Lookup DNS Entry

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Sat Jun 24 16:46:36 UTC 2000

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>Jeff Grossman wrote:
>
>> What command would I use in Linux to see what the DNS entry is for a
>> particular domain?
>
>Depends on what exactly you mean by "DNS entry".
>
>If you want to see what's in the DNS database for a particular domain,
>including the definitive list of nameservers, mail exchangers, etc. you
>could issue a DNS query of type "ANY" to one of that zone's nameservers
>using a command-line tool like "dig" or (if you must) "nslookup".
>
>But if you want to see the entry for the domain in the registry
>database, which has less "functional" information, but has contact,
>billing, account information, etc., then go look up "WHOIS". This is
>available via the web at various registries, including Network
>Solutions. There are command-line versions of WHOIS clients as well. The
>really hard-core way is to connect to port 43 on a WHOIS server like
>whois.networksolutions.com and issue a "domain <domain-name>" query.
>
>Hopefully, you're not one of those miscreants who is trying to mine the
>WHOIS database for purposes of sending SPAM or engaging in domain name
>speculation. You could get in trouble that way.

No, I am not an evil person.  Here is my problem.  Currently, my
domain for my company is handled by an outside company.  They handle
are web and mail services.  I am thinking of bringing my mail services
in house.  I figured I could just have my web people change the MX
record for the DNS to point to my static IP address at my office.
But, he does not seem to understand or agree with me.  What would be
required for me to get this accomplished?

The reason I wanted to see the DNS entry is to see how it is setup
right now.  When I ran DIG, it did not even list an MX record for my
domain.  Okay, never mind on that one, I got it to list the MX record.

Thanks,
Jeff

---
Jeff Grossman (jeff at stikman.com)