New User - on my own and caught a snag..

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jun 24 00:38:00 UTC 2000

Mark R. Nathan wrote:

> On 6/23/00, Kevin Darcy wanted to tell me:
> >  > I have taken to installing lsof but getting that to compile correctly
> >>  for me newbie is another story.
> >
> >"lsof" isn't likely to help you with a configuration file problem or a
> >problem on some other machine...
>
> Hi Kevin.. thanks.
>
> Actually thanks to Brock Sides my syntax was corrected.  At the
> moment I still have a port 53 problem where another process or
> possibly another named is running taking the port.
>
> error:
>
> bind (dfd=20, [209.xxx.xx.4x]53) Address in use
> bind (dfd=20, [209.xxx.xx.4x]53) Address in use
> deleting interface [209.xxx.xx.4x].53
> not listening on any interfaces
>
> I get this as my error and since I cant get lsof to compile I am
> looking for another solution.

Ah, that's a different kettle of fish. "lsof" may very well be useful in that
situation. As for compiling "lsof", I'm surprised that "cc" isn't in your
default path. Possibly all you need to do is find "cc" on your machine, put
it in your default path, and maybe it'll compile without much further ado...

- Kevin