Newbie Question - Is this possible?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 22 19:16:37 UTC 2000

In article <3951F635.BBF5802 at andynlyd.waitrose.com>,
andy  <andy at andynlyd.waitrose.com> wrote:
>I have a dial up account with my ISP who gives me a fixed IP address
>(yes really!).
>
>My domain name is chessum.demon.co.uk.
>
>I have registered the domain hippogroup.com with easyspace.com and have
>used their facility to transfer the domain to my own ip address which is
>a linux box running BIND.
>
>Can I set up my machine as a nameserver without the involvement of my
>ISP, such that hippogroup.com points to my machine.  If so, can you give
>me a few pointers (I've already read up on DNS but have yet to find an
>example of what I'm attempting.)

The problem with doing DNS on a dialup connection is that it's only
possible to access your server when you happen to be dialed up.  Unless
you're connected most of the time, then I guess you can think of it like a
dedicated connection, so this might not be a problem.  In that case, just
set it up just like it shows in the DNS & BIND book -- your ISP has nothing
to do with the DNS for your forward domain.  They control the DNS for the
reverse domain, but you can probably ignore that; they should have a
default PTR record for your address, and it doesn't matter that it doesn't
point to your <whatever>.hippogroup.com hostname.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA