Bind8 does every 4sec a DNS-lookup

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jun 21 08:01:45 UTC 2000

    Christian> Aha, why does my ns such querry´s to get the current
    Christian> list of root servers and how can I stop that behavoir?

Because that's the way name servers work. When they start, they send a
query to one or more of the name servers listed in the hints
file. They ask for a definitive list of names and addresses for the
root name servers. The information in the hints file is used to
initialise the name server by priming its cache. It provides hints of
good addresses to try when the name server is looking for the root
servers.

You can stop this behaviour by becoming a root server. This is a lot
more trouble than it's worth. You'd need to ftp the root zone file
from ftp.rs.internic.net every time it changed, install this somewhere
and then reload your name server. Letting the name server
automatically make a query at start up is a lot less work and is
probably less error-prone. It simplifies DNS adminsitration too.