Is GRANITECANYON.COM Down (for the Count)?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jun 19 21:13:46 UTC 2000

In article <394E7ED4.BDA9388C at swbell.net>,
Bill Polhemus  <bpolhem at swbell.net> wrote:
>I have been using granitecanyon.com for both primary and secondary DNS.
>
>I noticed that my SOA update made about a week ago apparently never
>loaded. Now, I note that I can't even log onto their website.
>
>I know they mentioned that they might someday "unplug" if they can't keep
>it running on no fees; have they discontinued their
>service?

If you've been reading the comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains newsgroup, you'd
notice lots of people reporting problems with Granite Canyon since Memorial
Day weekend.

So far, I don't think there's been any comment by anyone associated with GC
about what the cause of the problem is or when they expect it to be fixed.

>In that case, how would I get my DNS "back" from them? How about
>redelegation (is that ALWAYS done by the ISP, or once delegated to
>you have to go to the delegated party and get the IPs back?)

Changes to delegations occur in the parent domain.  For your forward
domains, simply send your registrar the new DNS servers you're using; for
the reverse domains, send the info to your ISP.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA