Can someone tell how a ping packet exactly works

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jun 16 16:06:06 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.1000616182623.28387A-100000 at ravi.lums.edu.pk>,
Saqib Mustafa  <01020103 at ravi.lums.edu.pk> wrote:
>OK!! I am doing some testing on my system, and I want to know how exactly
>a ping packet works. The Ping request first sends a DNS request to the
>host and then sends the Ping request to the remote machine. If I want to
>make a reply to the ping packet how can I make it. What will be the
>entries that will go in?

Ping sends an ICMP Echo packet to the destination host, and that host sends
back an ICMP Echo Reply.  You generally can't "make a reply to the ping
packet" -- this is done automatically by the IP stack on the remote
machine.

Nothing in DNS has anything to do with this, except that DNS is used to
translate the host name into an IP address (this is no different for ping
than it is for TELNET, HTTP, SMTP, FTP, etc.).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA