Help with screwy behavior...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 22:25:43 UTC 2000

In article <8ibic6$rf5$1 at newsboy.fiber.net>,
Steve Wolfe <steve at see.signature.com> wrote:

>  The last week I've seen some odd behaviour.  A few other name servers
>can't resolve our domains, and I'm not sure why...  It happened first with
>one of USWest's name servers, and the problem went away in a day.  Now,
>another ISP's name servers are doing the same thing:

The problem is that your domain is delegated to ns.iboats.com and
ns.local.iboats.com, and these names are both CNAME records on the
iboats.com servers, rather than A records like they're supposed to be.

ns.iboats.com.		1D IN CNAME	iboats.com.
ns.local.iboats.com.	1D IN CNAME	local.iboats.com.

Tell the iboats.com folks to fix their DNS.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA