Help with screwy behavior...

Steve Wolfe steve at see.signature.com
Thu Jun 15 21:27:23 UTC 2000

  The last week I've seen some odd behaviour.  A few other name servers
can't resolve our domains, and I'm not sure why...  It happened first with
one of USWest's name servers, and the problem went away in a day.  Now,
another ISP's name servers are doing the same thing:

[steve at helix steve]$ nslookup
Default Server:  slkcpop1.slkc.uswest.net
Address:  206.81.128.1

> server ns.inconnect.com
Default Server:  ns.inconnect.com
Address:  209.140.64.4

> boatmotors.com.
Server:  ns.inconnect.com
Address:  209.140.64.4

*** ns.inconnect.com can't find boatmotors.com.: Server failed
> server a.root-servers.net
Default Server:  a.root-servers.net
Address:  198.41.0.4

> boatmotors.com.
Server:  a.root-servers.net
Address:  198.41.0.4

Name:    boatmotors.com
Served by:
- NS.IBOATS.COM
          209.90.113.162
          boatmotors.com
- NS.LOCAL.IBOATS.COM
          209.90.117.130
          boatmotors.com
> server ns.iboats.com
Default Server:  ns.iboats.com
Address:  209.90.113.162

> boatmotors.com.
Server:  ns.iboats.com
Address:  209.90.113.162

Name:    boatmotors.com
Address:  209.90.113.162

  So, for me it appears that the normal "chain of command" is working.  The
offending name server *should* talk to the root servers, they point it to
ns.iboats.com, and that responds.    I'm baffled as to why it doesn't work.

  Any suggestions?

steve
Domain for replies is "codon".