Bind8 Dynamic DNS How-To?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Jun 15 19:24:35 UTC 2000

Jim Reid replied to my posting:

>The dynamic updates could also bust the zone by adding an illegal
>resource record - an illegal hostname say or perhaps adding another RR
>type for a name that already exists as a CNAME. Sigh. Relying on the
>source of the dynamic update requests to check for these things and
>prevent them is probably optimistic.

At least the MS Win2k DDNS implementation checks for an existing
CNAME in its pre-req packets (for DDNS updates for both forward and
reverse zones, even though a CNAME will not appear in a reverse zone.)

As for an illegal hostname, I have no idea if one can configure a
Win2k workstation with sucn an illegal hostname and then have the
workstation try a DDNS self-registration.

peter at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu replied to the same posting :

>A speculation here, is MS-DNS actually removing these entries when their TTL
>times out ? That would (in a way) solve this dilemma. Comments please!

I had the same speculation in a post earlier this week.  I have a
detailed log file from a MS Win2k DNS box in our testbed, and when I
can get that log FTPed to my desktop Unix workstation, I will look at
it in detail.  If it does not contain the answer, I plan to run such
a test in our Win2k testbed network.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov