Hey I am totally new to DNS (etc.)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jun 10 00:11:18 UTC 2000

Adoito Haroon wrote:

>   Hey I am totally new to DNS so I would really appreciate some help. I
> registered my
> domain name with somedomain.com (an authorized registrar) and was using
> their
> nameservers to point to the IP of the server that would be authoritative
> for my zone.
> However I don't want to use their nameservers anymore but want to use
> the "root"
> nameservers to point to my computer as authoritative for my zone. How do
> I go
> about doing that?

Let me get this straight: you registered a domain and it's currently
delegated to your registrar's nameservers, right? And you want it delegated
to your nameservers, right? Just set up your nameservers and have your
registrar change the delegation information. Note that only top-level
domains -- basically domains without dots in them -- are delegated from the
"root" nameservers. Your domain, on the other hand, is most likely
delegated from "com" or "net" or something like that. In any case, it
doesn't really matter: since your registrar was able to get your domain
delegated in the first place, they should certainly be able to get the
delegation information changed...

- Kevin