DNS Server Info...

Nate nate_yuri at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 18:53:52 UTC 2000

Quick question RE: DNS servers..

Is there a way to find out which DNS server you connect to when connecting
to a webserver??

I understand that it *SHOULD* (correct me if I'm wrong) hit the primary DNS
server first (listed with InterNIC) then if it doesn't answer it then
proceeds to connect to the 2nd DNS server (listed with InterNIC)..

Is there a command line I can use to trace which DNS server it hits to get
the website info ??

I mean aside from pinging the Primary DNS server Myself (if it responds - I
can assume that it's up and will answer to any website query for the zones
it hosts).

When I try NSLOOKUP www.whatever.com , it hits my ISP's server then returns
the website address.. it never showed the DNS Server info (Pri or Sec) for
the website www.whatever.com  (I'm thinking my ISP's server is replicating
the DNS info for the website but the DNS servers for the site ONLY allows
access to certain DNS servers in it's NOTIFY list).

Sorry for the long post..  I guess it's not a "quick question" afterall..

Thanks In Advance for ANY help!