DNS reverse problem. only internally works and for class C

Marco BANO bano at eumetsat.de
Thu Jun 8 17:55:03 UTC 2000

Hi,

We are having a reverse lookup problem.  I reviewed some of the messages
is the archive and they helped some, but I'm still not quite clear if
the problem
lies with our end, or our ISPs.  I am also not a BIND expert

I have a 1/4 of a B class 163.165.192.0/18. we segmented it on /22 slots
so my actual network is 163.165.203.0/22. My domain is eumetsat.de.

What is confusing to me is that the reverse lookups work fine on hosts
in our address space (i.e. if I'm on the host where the DNS is located,
the reverse lookup works, same if I'm on one of our web servers.
Plus I our class C 193.17.8.0 reverse resolution work well.. I hope have
alook
try nslookup 193.17.8.101..

This problem is appearing since I upgrade from bind 4.9.5 to 8.2.2 on
our primary dns server. We even change the Ip address of our primary DNS
server. (193.17.8.104).

my named.conf:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
query-source address * port 53;
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
};

zone "eumetsat.de" {
        type master;
        file "db.eumetsat.de";
};

#
zone "165.163.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.163.165";
};

zone "200.165.163.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.163.165.200";
};

zone "201.165.163.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.163.165.201";
};

zone "202.165.163.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.163.165.202";
};

zone "203.165.163.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.163.165.203";
};

#
zone "8.17.193.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.193.17.8";
zone "9.17.193.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.193.17.9";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0";
};

and db.163.165.203 look like:

$TTL 12h
@       IN      SOA     blizzard.eumetsat.de.
postmaster.blizzard.eumetsat.de.   (

                              200005254    ; Serial YYMMDDX
                                     3h    ; Refresh secondary
                                     1h    ; Retry after nosecondary
                                    14d    ; Expire sec. data
                                     12h )  ; Minimum TimeToLive
;
        IN      NS      blizzard.eumetsat.de.
        IN      NS      xlink1.xlink.net.
        IN      NS      sky.eumetsat.de.
;
; 163.165.203/22 - UNIX Systems
;
;  GSD
2       IN      PTR     typhoon.eumetsat.de.
3       IN      PTR     iprouter.eumetsat.de.
4       IN      PTR     calvus.eumetsat.de.
5       IN      PTR     sky.eumetsat.de.

What could be mistaked. Or have a look with dig.. is my ISP or RIPE.de
that have old informations ??