Newbie DNS Question

Scot Robnett srobnett at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 7 00:36:36 UTC 2000

Marcus,

A couple things need to happen here.

First, whoever is managing DNS for your TLD (top level domain) needs to know
the IP address of your web server that you will be using for the subdomain.
Since they manage the top level domain, they should be able to create a
"pointer" for you.

To make the subdomain resolve to your IP, it's a pretty simple configuration
inside the Apache httpd.conf file in your conf/ directory. In the
VirtualHosts section, do something like this:

    <VirtualHost 216.217.195.96>
    ServerName test.allinonemortgage.com
    ServerAdmin admin at allinonemortgage.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/apache/htdocs/<yourdirectory>
    </VirtualHost>

I am also fairly new to this whole TCP/IP-DNS game, so if there are
Apache/Linux experts out there shouting "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!" at my answer
and need to correct me, please feel free. :)

Scot Robnett
srobnett at earthlink.net

Marcus <mouimet at direct.ca> wrote in message
news:Une%4.90349$au2.1081339 at news1.rdc1.bc.home.com...
>     I am new to the whole DNS thing. I have always been given a primary
and
> secondary DNS to give to say network solutions then my domain name works.
> Anyways now I am setting up a sub domain was told I needed to change my
DNS