script to restart bind for NT

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Tue Jun 6 17:20:46 UTC 2000

>I'm looking for a script that will test if bind is working, and if not
>restart Bind 8 for NT.
>or to be simpler, just restart it every 2 days...

one hostname, I put together a batch file calle KeepBindAlive.bat.  But
that machine is packed up after my trip. I should get it unpacked Tuesday
and I'll send you a copy.  I also had a big batch file that programmed the
NT schedule service to run KeepBindAlive.bat every 5 minutes.

>my bind will just conk out after a few days for no apparent reason. there is
>nothing in the event logs or anything. Anyone else have/had this problem?

The only cause we (informal group) have definitely identified was the above.

When you BIND stops, use tool like www.cyberkit.net or samspade's Windows
tool or maybe even NT lookup to perform the last or penultimate query in
the named.run log file (see my config page here http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com
for a sample logging statement for named.conf).  If the query returns 20 or
40 or more A records for one hostname, you're experiencing that NT
bug.  8.2.2p5 for my FreeBSD machines don't have this bug.

Len