IT'S TRUE - Win95 Net Browsing causes DNS lookups

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Tue Jun 6 01:12:57 UTC 2000

> It is my understanding that Microsoft intends to phase out WINS
> (which never worked that well anyway) and replace it with DNS lookup.
> Given the way that Windows currently behaves, that would not be
> difficult at all.

It's not a problem for networks that only have Windows 2000 and which
don't run third-party MS-centric networking applications. If you have
any legacy systems at all, or if you have something like ARCserve that
uses NetBIOS to locate backup servers (or SNA gateways, or ...), then
you'll still have to provide for NetBIOS name registration and lookup.

Eric A. Hall                                            ehall at ehsco.com
+1-650-685-0557                                    http://www.ehsco.com