IT'S TRUE - Win95 Net Browsing causes DNS lookups

John Coutts administrator at yellowhead.com
Mon Jun 5 19:42:05 UTC 2000

This is a property of Windows 9x (don't know about 2000), and it has caused me
some grief in the past as well. We had one of our sub networks infected with
the <network.vbs> virus. The sub network clients were not running WINS or DHCP,
and had our domain name listed in the network setup. The virus would try to map
random IP addresses. When it could not find it on the local network, it sent a
query to the primary DNS. When the primary sent a neagative response, it would
then tack on the domain name and try again. Then it would do the same thing for
secondary DNS. The second request to the secondary would end up coming back to
the primary because the domain name had been tacked on.

It is my understanding that Microsoft intends to phase out WINS (which never
worked that well anyway) and replace it with DNS lookup. Given the way that
Windows currently behaves, that would not be difficult at all.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro
In article <C35B937D60C8D3119E4400508B0CBBDA92B483 at hacnte02.ep.hess.com>,