NEWBIE DNS QUESTION - apache

Brian Ventura water at bighead.org
Fri Jun 2 21:38:21 UTC 2000

Apache config is done in the httpd.conf file (default dir is
/usr/local/apache/conf, but linux may put it other places like /etc/httpd)

You can have as many VirtualHost's as you wish to a machine and just have them be
CNAME entries for the machine.  You can even set up interfaces for the names like:
hme0:1 (eth0:1) or whatever with their own IP's (therefore A records), but that is
not needed.

Here is a virtual host example:

NameVirtualHost 1.1.1.1

<VirtualHost www.youarehere.dom>
ServerAdmin sucker at youarehere.dom
DocumentRoot /web/root
ServerName www.youarehere.dom
ErrorLog logs/Error_log.www
TransferLog logs/access_log.www
</VirtualHost>

There is much more to configuring Apache, O'Reilly has  a good book...

- water at bighead.org
- World's Greatest Speler