acl (access-lists)

Kelly Scroggins kelly at cliffhanger.com
Fri Jul 21 05:49:56 UTC 2000

Quoting Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>:

   Kelly Scroggins wrote:

   > I'm wondering if I can define an access-list that
   > will restrict a range of addresses within a
   > subnet.  As opposed to the entire subnet.
   >
   > I want to restrict some address from making
   > queries to a specific zone.  Or restrict them TO
   > a zone.
   >
   > Is this possible?

   It's all possible, it's just a matter of how ugly you want to get. BIND
   8's address match list syntax doesn't support arbitrary ranges of
   addresses, but if the range happens to be on a bit boundary, you can use
   prefix notation. And, of course, there's always individual enumeration
   of addresses and/or negation operators. To make things at least a
   *little* maintainable, you may wish to give discrete ranges their own
   ACL names, and then nest those ACL's into larger ACL's where necessary.

   - Kevin

That's what I was afraid of.  I read this same
info in The NDS and BIND book, but hoped for a
magic trick to work around it.

Thanks,
kelly