Generate Reverse Deligations

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Jul 13 06:16:55 UTC 2000

> <snip>

> It is the assumtion part that is bothering me.  How can I assume that
> my server will find 10.in-addr.arpa. if it can not find a deligtion
> for it from the root server.  I guess this is more a question of
> semantics.  I dont not expect for example a server that is deligated
> the zone 215.70.10.in-addr.arpa. to authoritive for any thing beneath
> this aka 70.10.in-addr.arpa. and therefore it must use the standard
> method of resolving this address by starting at the root. And this is
> where this conversion has gone around.  IF 10.0.0.0 is private address
> space the senario would go . ---> arpa. ----> in-addr.arpa. ---> a
> response of reserved by IANA or nol response.
>
> >I must express surprise.  This is sort of part of the definition of a
> >private internet address, isn't it?  ;-}
>
> Yes.  But if I were to set up a private arpa. server, I would not be
> able to resolve any reverse addresses on the Internet.

	You set up 10.in-addr.arpa on all servers serving your
	internal clients.  In that way all your servers know about
	10.in-addr.arpa and don't have to go to the Internet to
	resolve addresses.

	This is similar to all your internal nameserver having to
	know where the internal version of the forward domain is.

	Mark