one IP for multiple zones??

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 12 19:55:36 UTC 2000

Brian Gilman wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>     I am trying to do the following and have run into some trouble:
>
>             domain1.com -> myDomain.com
>             domain2.com ->    myDomain.com
>
>         etc.
>
>     I found that you could do this easily by adding CNAME entries into
> my, myDomain.com's config file however, I keep getting the error,
> domain1.com outside of myDomain.com ignoring....
>
>     Can someone help me out here??

Each domain has its own file. You need to add the appropriate entries to
the files for domain1.com and domain2.com, etc.. Any "owner"
(left-hand-side) name in the mydomain.com file for something outside of
mydomain.com (such as domain1.com or whatever) will be (loudly) ignored
with exactly the error you're seeing.

Another thing is that you need to add A records into those files
referring to the same address as mydomain.com, not CNAMEs to
mydomain.com. It's illegal to have a CNAME owner which is also the owner
of other records, and presumably domain1.com, domain2.com etc. already
own SOA and NS records, at the very least.

- Kevin