PTR error

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jul 12 16:56:33 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 05:49:48PM +0000, Thomas Duterme wrote:
> I am using Mice and Men's DNS expert, which is a great tool to diagnose DNS
> errors.  I have been able to fix all of my errors except for the following:
>
> It claims that
>
> "There is no PTR record for the hose grendel.madeforchina.com which has the
> IP address 202.108.32.164"  AND
> "There is no PTR record for the hose madeforchina.com which has the IP
> address 202.108.32.165"

Since those are the only two addresses you have declared in forward
DNS, I would venture to guess that the tool doesn't even see your
reverse DNS domain.

$ nslookup -type=ns madeforchina.com.

Non-authoritative answer:
madeforchina.com	nameserver = GRENDEL.madeforchina.com
madeforchina.com	nameserver = BEAST.madeforchina.com

GRENDEL.madeforchina.com	internet address = 202.108.32.164
BEAST.madeforchina.com	internet address = 202.108.32.165

$ nslookup -type=ns 32.108.202.in-addr.arpa.

*** No address information is available for "32.108.202.in-addr.arpa."

Yup.  Not delegated.  You will have to contact APNIC to get this done.

I am surprised and pleased to note that the DNS Expert looks at
external servers' notions of your DNS.  Presumably, the reverse DNS
lookup works from your local name server.

> Below are my db records for madeforchina.com. and my revlookup record.  Can
> anyone tell me what is wrong here and what I need to do to make sure my PTR
> records are correct?  Plus, aside from using DNS expert, how could I have
> checked with something like nslookup to see if I had an error.  Thanks for
> the help...Thomas

Try both forward and reverse queries, from both local and remote
servers.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B