nsupdate dilemma

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Jul 11 17:07:35 UTC 2000

    Paige> Hello,

    Paige> I have bind 8.2.2pl5 running on dnsdev (solaris 5.7 sparc
    Paige> Ultra 10).  The configuration file is set up to allow
    Paige> updates from my personal machine, smt6, (solaris 5.6 sparc
    Paige> 10) as well as dnsdev itself.  dnsdev is setup as the
    Paige> primary nameserver for smt6.  After adding the
    Paige> configuration changes I HUP'ed named.  nsupdate did not
    Paige> work from either smt6 nor dnsdev.  It didn't acknowledge
    Paige> the input ... it just returned without logging, changing,
    Paige> or outputting anything...

    UNIX> nsupdate
    >> update add temp.cind.ornl.gov 700 in cname smt6.cind.ornl.gov
    >>
    >> ^D
    UNIX>

    Paige> What am I missing?

This looks OK syntactically. It would be an idea to switch on
debugging in both the name server and nsupdate. The update attempts
should be getting logged somewhere unless the name server's logging
subsystem is screwed up. Perhaps the update requests are going to the
master server for cind.ornl.gov instead of dnsdev (whatever that is)?
Also make sure that the MNAME field of the SOA record in a dynamically
updated zone contains the name of the master server for that
zone. This is the only way to reliably identify that server, which is
where nsupdate has to send its dynamic update requests.