$INCLUDE directive

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Jul 7 14:13:33 UTC 2000

Blair Copeland wrote:

>I noticed that if I seperate sub-domains into different files and
>use "$INCLUDE" directives, the first dynamic update rewrites my
>zone as a single flat file.  This seems slightly counter-intuitive.
>If I  took the time to seperate the sub-domains, I kind of wanted to
>keep them apart.  Is there any chance that future enhancements
>might respect the "$INCLUDE" directives and leave them?

When BIND loads a zone into memory, it honors the $INCLUDE statements
by including the requested file.  BIND does not save the $INCLUDE
statements in memory.  When a zone is updated dynamically, the update
takes place in memory, I believe.  Then the zone is re-written to disk
from memory.  All of the formatting that was in the zone on disk is
lost.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov