lame delegation

James Raftery james-bind-users at domainregistry.ie
Tue Jul 4 23:58:42 UTC 2000

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 12:03:46PM +0000, georgredwavenet at my-deja.com wrote:
> if I query "MERAPI" for the NS of "ssom.ch." I'll get this answer:
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> ssom.ch nameserver = mx1.redwave.net
> ssom.ch nameserver = mx0.redwave.net
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> mx1.redwave.net internet address = 195.141.250.19
> mx0.redwave.net internet address = 195.141.250.18
>
> I'm getting a "Authoritative" answer.

No; you're not, as indicated by "Non-authoritative answer". merapi tries
to be helpful and supplies the IP addresses of the nameserver that are
authoritative for ssom.ch, mx0.redwave.net and mx1.redwave.net.

> BUT if I query one of the others e.g. "rip.psg.com"
> then I get this answer:
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> ssom.ch nameserver = mx0.redwave.net
> ssom.ch nameserver = mx1.redwave.net
>
> And as one can see the "Authoritative" answer is missig !!!!

You get the exact same list of nameservers, again non-authoritatively.
Why non-authoritatively? Because the two nameservers you have queried
serve the CH zone not the SSOM.CH zone.

> I think that is the error of the SWISS nic (switch.ch),
> but they claim that's ok and im doing something wrong....

Yes it's fine; you don't seem to understand how delegation works, or
quite what it means. This is not their fault.

The DNS & BIND book; and http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/

> I consider this to be some sort of denial of service attac
> from the swiss nic ....

What? Sheesh, get a grip.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375