win2k+unix, 4 basic questions

Farid Hamjavar hamjavar at unm.edu
Tue Jul 4 23:01:34 UTC 2000

Greetings,

I have been monitoring win2k-unix-bind integration
posts since late last year and we're currently
doing test so we can start allow win2k boxes
in our environment.

I have 4 questions which seem to be very basic
but as I have had no exposure to MS-land, I am a
bit confused now to put it all into perspective.

[1]
To allow win2k.example.org to update a zone:

Is the following the only segment I need to
add to dns server's named.conf  ... ? Or
there is more segments that goes with this?

zone "win2k.example.org" in {
        type master;
        file "blahblah.db";
        check-names ignore;
        allow-update { win2k.example.org; };
};

[2]
Am I correct to assume that win2k.example.org will
negotiate with our dns server and
update blahblah.db without human intervention?

[3]
where does SRV record come in to the picture?
Meaning that I am under impression that I need to create
something like this in one of our dns config files:

_msdcs.example.org IN SRV  1 1 2027 win2k.example.org

[4]
what is the "criteria" for defining the
first part   of the SRV RR? I mean the "Service.Proto.Name" part.
Is there something "default" or the win2k administrator provide
me with its description.

Service.Proto.Name TTL Class SRV Priority Weight Port Target

I guess that's it for now.
thank you,
Farid