Non-delegated subdomain?

gmcafee at my-deja.com gmcafee at my-deja.com
Mon Jan 31 20:29:08 UTC 2000

Is it normal to get a non-authoritative answer to a query for a RR that
belongs to a non-delegated subdomain?  For example, if I have something
like:

fred.com SOA ...

         NS barney.fred.com.
barney   A  x.x.x.x

_ftp.tcp SRV 1 1 21 wilma.fred.com.
wilma    A   y.y.y.y

and I query the SRV record with nslookup, I get a non-authoritative
answer back.  Thus I'm assuming that the name server thinks the SRV
actually belongs to the 'tcp.fred.com' domain and views the SRV RR as
part of a non-delegated subdomain of 'fred.com'.

1) Are my assumptions accurate?
2) If so, how do I get an authoritative answer for the SRV?
3) If I'm all washed up, please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for your time,
Gary

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.