Multiple subnets PTR question.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jan 28 21:50:06 UTC 2000

In article <2nmk4.2825$Sa2.108370 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
Max <mightymax at yipinet.com> wrote:
>I have two /27 subnets and one /29 subnet assigned to me from my ISP. All
>three subnets are broken off the same class C subnet. My ISP is delegating
>the PTR lookup to my name servers for these IP's. The guy I was speaking to
>said that I should set up my named.conf like this:

[Typical RFC 2317-style zone statements snipped]

>only this doesn't resolve the PTR lookups, even from the box that is the
>name server. Is this a valid named.conf file? What is wrong with these
>lookups?

Your configuration looks correct, the problem seems to be with your ISP.
They haven't delegated the first domain, and the other two domains are
delegated to the nonexistent host ns1.emind.com.

The first one actually appears to be delegated as
1-31.80.209.63.in-addr.arpa (not 0-31 as you wrote), and it's also
delegated to the nonexistent host ns1.emind.com.

With classless in-addr delegation, even queryng the box directly doesn't
work if the delegations and CNAMEs aren't correct.  Level3.net has the
CNAMEs, you just need them to correct the delegation to point to your
server instead of ns1.emind.com.  If ns1.emind.com *is* your server, you
need to get an A record for it added to the emind.com domain, which is
hosted by Network Magic Unlimited.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com