Help re: Solaris 7 native named daemon

Harold Pritchett harold at arches.uga.edu
Fri Jan 28 15:34:08 UTC 2000

David Simpson wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am building a Solaris 7 DNS server. I was advised to use the integrated
> Solaris 7 version of BIND as any SUN
> patch clusters would not break the functionality. A compiled and added BIND
> 8 would run this risk.
>
> Does anyone know how I could find the version of this SUN BIND
> implementation?
>
> Also has anyone got any thoughts, advice experience with the same as to
> set-up, idiosyncrasies etc.

Yes.  First, dump the sun version of Bind.  This is true for any
vendor's
version.  Because of the length of their distribution chain, they just
can't stay current with any of the rapidly changing programs like BIND
and SENDMAIL.

Get the current version of BIND (8.2.2.p5) and build it.  Install it in
a private library which won't get overwritten by Solaris service.  Now,
put a couple of lines in your /etc/rc.local startup file to copy the
files "named" and "named-xfer" (or in.named and in.named-xfer if that's
what Solaris still calls them) to the proper execution directories.
That way, when you apply maintenance, and it overwrites your bind with
a down-level sun version, when you re-boot the proper one will get
put back.

Do the same thing with sendmail.

We do this on all of our servers here at The University of Georgia
and it works well for us.  We don't worry about a vendor's
maintenance replacing our carefully maintained code with an older
version they are distributing.

Hope this helps

Harold