Help re: Solaris 7 native named daemon

Paul T. Root proot at iaces.com
Thu Jan 27 13:22:18 UTC 2000

In a previous message, David Simpson said:

> Hi all
>
> I am building a Solaris 7 DNS server. I was advised to use the integrated
> Solaris 7 version of BIND as any SUN
> patch clusters would not break the functionality. A compiled and added BIND
> 8 would run this risk.
>
> Does anyone know how I could find the version of this SUN BIND
> implementation?

Starting with /etc/init.d/inetsvc, grepping for named yields:

      /usr/bin/pkill -x -u 0 'in.named|inetd'
# server, run the name daemon.  Start named prior to: route add net host,
if [ -f /usr/sbin/in.named -a -f /etc/named.conf ]; then
        /usr/sbin/in.named &

So that tells us it's BIND 8. And since it's BIND 8, patch clusters probably
won't break functionality to badly (depending on where you put the bind
files, hint /usr/local).

strings /usr/sbin/in.named |grep 8. yields (amoung other lines):
in.named BIND 8.1.2 Tue Oct  6 00:50:47 PDT 1998
BIND 8.1.2

There is also a patch. 107018-01. It is also 8.1.2.

> Also has anyone got any thoughts, advice experience with the same as to
> set-up, idiosyncrasies etc.

I'd get 8.2.2pl5 and install it.

--
I am deeply honored, master.  The praise of my betters is the delight of
my ears.  (C. S. Lewis)