SOA and PTR Records

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Fri Jan 28 08:35:05 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "Max" <mightymax at yipinet.com>

> so my zone file currently looks like this
>
> -->    @  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (
>
> I was reading the O'Reilly book and their example says to do this:
>
> -->    zone.com.  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (
>
> Which is the correct version???
>
> And the zone files for my PTR records... should they look like this
>
> -->    @  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (
>
> or like the O'Reilly example
>
> -->    0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (

"A free standing @ is used to denote the current origin" (RFC 1035).

You can use $ORIGIN to change the origin, but in most cases, the @ on the
left side of your SOA record will expand to the domain stated in the
configuration file. Thus all four of your examples are correct.

Thor

--
My PGP public key is available on key servers - please use it!

Powerful, automated web hosting: <http://www.virtualis.com/vr/tkotteli/>