SOA and PTR Records

Max mightymax at yipinet.com
Fri Jan 28 00:02:58 UTC 2000

Quick question regarding soa information and ptr zone files. This is a new
machine running 8.2.2 patch 5. This is a fresh config borrowing from another
bind machine

so my zone file currently looks like this

-->    @  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (

I was reading the O'Reilly book and their example says to do this:

-->    zone.com.  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (

Which is the correct version???

And the zone files for my PTR records... should they look like this

-->    @  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (

or like the O'Reilly example

-->    0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (

I'm really confused. Thanks for your help.

--

Max
e. mightymax at yipinet.com