How to start installing Bind 8.2.2P5

Lynn Zhang lyzhang at umich.edu
Thu Jan 27 15:21:55 UTC 2000

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Michael Dang wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I tried those but keep receiving errors.  For example,
> make stdlinks
>
> make: Fatal error:  Don't know how to make target "stdlinks"
>
> What do I miss?
>
> My system is running Solaris 2.6 and has gcc 2.9.5.
>
> Mike D

Thank you for your time and attention.

I did read the INSTALL notes and some README files come with the tar file.
However, I am still confused about something. I am trying to upgrade our
BIND, we have our bind configuration files (like named.boot, named.cache,
named.conf, etc) in /usr/private/etc. I need to have the new binary will
work with my old configuation files.

Before I run "make install", I need to modify the Makefile.set in
src/port/solaris,
the next is part of my Makefile.set,

'DESTDIR=/dns/dns'
'DESTMAN=/usr/local/share/man'
'DESTETC=/usr/local/etc'

after I run "make install", I should  have
/dns/dns/usr/local/share/man, but I do not have that.

What is the meaning of 'DESTETC=/usr/local/etc' ? Does this tell bind to
look for /usr/local/etc for configuration files when it runs? In my case I
should have
"/usr/private/etc" there? Will it overwrite any files in that dirctory?

What is the best way to upgrade the new bind without damage anyting which
is running now?

Thanks a lot!

Lynn Zhang