Win2000 & Bind

parker at bctm.com parker at bctm.com
Fri Jan 21 22:56:54 UTC 2000

Hi,

I know this has been discussed in the past (there was some discussion in
May 1999 that I found in the archives) but it wasn't entirely
conclusive...

We've been planning on installing a UNIX based dynamic DNS server/DHCP
server, one of:

NetID from Nortel
MetaIP from Checkpoint
Network Registrar from Cisco

Our PC group is also working on a plan to implement Windows 2000 on all
of our PCs (800+). We use DHCP heavily and had planned to use the DHCP
component of our primary internal DDNS server to support these systems.

Having read the archives from the discussion back in May, it is unclear
to me whether we can do this or if we have to use a Windows 2000 system
as our primary DNS/DHCP server. I don't know much about Active Directory
and how it works, but I gather it needs to update SVC records in the DNS
server, and may not work with any servers other than Microsoft's?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ross
--
Ross Parker            |      UNIX Sys Admin, Perl and C toolsmithing,
Systems/Network Admin  |     Networking and security, CGI applications.
parker at bctm.com        | goes up on the roof and you can't get it back down...