No A records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 20 00:02:04 UTC 2000

Ojars Lagzdins wrote:

> Running  dlint -n domain.name checking secondary nameserver
> I get message  :
> ERROR : no A record found
> But  Running  dlint -n domain.name checking primary nameserver
> I get message  :
> Warning : the zone damain.name has an A record but no reverse PTR record!!
>
> What this is record!!!
> Where I put this record ??

This is a BIND list. "dlint" isn't part of BIND. Nevertheless, I took a look
at the script, and it seems to make a bunch of bad assumptions. For example,
it assumes that it can do a zone transfer from the nameserver which it is
using to check the zone. This is not always true, and probably explains the
"no A record found" error for the secondary.

As for the "no reverse PTR record" error, in the 1.3.2 version of "dlint",
this is followed by the sentence "This is probably OK". Perhaps you should
upgrade your "dlint" so that these "error" messages are less alarming.

Or just use the zone-checking tools that come with BIND instead.

- Kevin