preferred host

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 19 20:52:30 UTC 2000

Spirovski Bozhidar wrote:

> I have two web servers serving the same pages. Is there a way to make BIND
> 8.1.2 give out both adresses but not round robin style. I want it always to
> give out :
> www.doamin.com:
> 199.12.13.50
> 199.12.13.100
> What I am asking is is there a way to define a 'preferred' host between two
> A records.

There's no good solution for this yet. The best you can do right now is to use
the rrset-order option on the master and all of the slaves, and lower the
TTL's on the records to partially defeat the effects of caching (but this
comes at the cost of increasing query traffic).

I'm experimenting with a better solution to this problem.

- Kevin