ISP mapped DNS to wrong IP!!! Need help fast. :(

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jan 19 18:55:45 UTC 2000

    Danny> Here's my problem. I rented a static IP and dedicated ISDN
    Danny> connection from an ISP. They gave me the IP
    Danny> 216.162.109.49. But when he did the "reverse dns", or
    Danny> whatever he had to do to map our domain name to that IP, he
    Danny> mapped us to 216.162.98.9.

    Danny> How long will it take for this to straighten itself out?
    Danny> WILL it straighten itself out? Is there anything I can do
    Danny> to speed up the process?

A reverse lookup of 216.162.109.49 returns www.movalglass.com. Since
you didn't tell us your domain name, I don't know if this is correct
answer or not. A forward lookup of that name returns 216.162.109.49,
so I presume that www.movalglass.com is the correct name for the
reverse lookup.

The two name servers - ns{1,2}.valuenet.net - for the reverse zone
109.162.216.in-addr.arpa advertise a 1 day TTL for the reverse entry
for 216.162.109.49. So everything should be alright within a day of
your ISP fixing the reverse zone entry, assuming that the old one for
49.109.162.216.in-addr.arpa had the same TTL. [And that this is the
right name of course.] The issue is what was cached by name servers
for reverse lookups of this address BEFORE your ISP fixed it and how
long it will take for that to go away from their caches. If you do a
reverse lookup on one of those servers, the answer will include the
TTL value so you can see for yourself how long it will be before they
see the updated entry. If the old name had a higher TTL, it will hang
around other name server's caches for longer. If it was lower, the old
name could well be gone from the world's name server caches by now.