PTR delegation 16 IPs

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jan 19 18:44:48 UTC 2000

In article <4.2.0.58.20000119072701.00a45ac0 at mail.fireclick.com>,
Robert Gahl  <bgahl at bawcsa.org> wrote:
>The reason I no longer think I'm doing this correctly (and thus, starting
>from scratch once again) is that I seem to be able to get dig to work but
>not nslookup, or vice versa, but never both, and I think some of my
>confusion is in the file naming (or maybe the named.conf construction), but
>I'm not sure why.

Usually when dig works and nslookup doesn't, it's a problem with nslookup,
not your configuration.

Do you have recursion disabled on your nameserver?  If so, it won't be able
to look up its own address, because it needs to query the parent domain
server to find the CNAME record for its address, which would then refer it
to the RFC 2317-style subdomain.  Since nslookup refuses to use a default
server that can't reverse-resolve its own address, it will fail, even
though there's really nothing wrong.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com