Wildcards in bind?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jan 18 19:41:23 UTC 2000

In article <860ojb$19ds$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
M. Oesterwinter <marcuso at saul4.u.washington.edu> wrote:
>I am sorry, I think I worded the question wrong.  I want to have one
>website, and have it send all requests to any domain to one IP.  Meaning
>say right now I have the following domains:
>catsforsale.com
>dogsforsale.com
>zebrasforsale.com
>donkeysforsale.com
>
>Any time someone wants to view one of these pages, I want them to resolve
>to the webserver that is on IP address 192.168.1.14 which is
>coolpetsforsale.com.  The trick is, I don't want to have to add zone
>records every time I add a new domain.  I want this nameserver to resolve

Of all the things you have to do when taking on a new customer and
registering a new domain, this seems like the most trivial, and you're
being pretty lazy going to special effort to avoid it.

>all IP addresses to 192.168.1.14, that way, down the road, I can add the
>following domains without setting up new zones on the DNS server:
>horsesforsale.com
>girblesforsale.com
>zebrasforsale.org
>
>Is it possible to somehow implement some wildcard that will accomplish my
>goals?  If not, is it a fundemental DNS issue that prevents it from
>working?

My first thought was for you to configure your server as primary for the
root domain, and put the following wildcard entry in the root zone file:

*  IN A  192.168.1.14

However, I don't recommend doing this.  Your server will include its own NS
records in the Authority Section of its responses, and these may pollute
the caches of the systems that query you.  They might try to use you as a
real root server, which would be quite disastrous.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com