[Fwd: newbie nameserver]

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jan 17 23:29:44 UTC 2000

    >> So now I believe to have corrected this, how does
    >> 'zone-transfer' work? I mean how can one force the secondary
    >> nameserver to take up the change without having to wait for the
    >> regular refresh interval in db.csf.nl - bearing in mind that I
    >> don't have control over this secondary?

You can't. If the slave (secondary) server is not under your control,
there obviously can't be any way for you to "control" it. Think about
it for a moment: if such a thing were possible people would be going
round starting and stopping each other's name servers.

If both the master and slave servers are running up to date name
server code, they should support the NOTIFY mechanism. This gets the
master (primary) server to tell the slave server(s) whenever the zone
has been loaded. The slave server checks the zone's serial number on
the master server and, if it's greater than the one on the slave, it
performs a zone transfer there and then. The slave doesn't need to
wait for the zone's refresh interval to occur, though it still check
the master server for an updated SOA record every refresh interval.